I'm Don Browne ex-Camp Drake FENer 1969-1971. Enjoyed your blog and your experiences at AFKN and SCN. I was assigned/associated/employed with AFRTS from 1969 to 2001; I was an officer (O-1/O-2) with active duty at FEN Tokyo from 1969-1971, then an officer (O-3) on reserve duty at AFRTS-LA (222nd PID/Command Radio Station) from 1971 to 1981; and then a civilian employee (Dir. of Technology) at ABS/AFRTS HQ in Washington D.C. from 1982 to 2001 (Retirement). Needless to say, I have visited many Army owned AFRTS networks. Probably when you were there.
In regard to the record labels produced by AFRTS, they HAD to change at least every ten years because the program numbering system repeated every decade. Sometimes sooner, like if a name changed; "Armed Forces Radio Service" changed to "Armed Forces Radio & TV Service" in 1957, "Armed Forces Information and Entertainment" changed to "Information for the Armed Forces" in 1967, "Armed" WHITE label changed to "Armed" GREEN label for "decade-change" in 1969, "Armed Forces" changed to "American Forces" in 1969, "American" RED/WHITE/BLUE label changed to TAN label for "decade-change" in 1970, TAN label changed to GRAY label for "transition quarter change" in 1976, "American Forces" changed to "Armed Forces" in 1982, "Information for the Armed Forces" changed to "Armed Forces Information Service" in 1982.
)
Glad to answer any questions about the coding for RU/RP/RL labels or on-air long-form programming produced in the Los Angeles studios or provided by off-site contractors between 1969 and 2001.
Don Browne

No comments:
Post a Comment